Wildwood Manor Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta
Rate, save, comment and tag recipes in this article
Today's recipe is Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta from Wildwood Manor (Friday Harbor, WA). Innkeepers John and Michael say this dish is always a favorite of their guests. The panna cotta works equally well as a breakfast starter or dessert. The yogurt adds a bit of tang to the creaminess, and the orange rounds out the flavor of the vanilla. Sounds yummy!
Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta
By Wildwood Manor
- 1 envelope (1 1/4 oz.) of unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 fresh vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 small orange
- 1 2/3 cup plain yogurt
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup of heavy cream and let sit.
2. Meanwhile, pour the remaining 1 3/4 cup of heavy cream in a small quart pan over medium heat.
3. Take the vanilla bean and cut a slight slit down the center vertically. With your pairing knife, scrape all of the vanilla bean seeds from the pod and add to the cream. You can also add the vanilla pod as well.
4. Cut three to four strips of orange peel (orange part only) and add to the cream.
5. Add 1/2 cup of sugar to cream. Stir well until mixture is simmering. Remove from heat.
6. Add gelatin mixture to pan and whisk well to dissolve all of the gelatin. Let mixture sit for ten minutes to cool. Pour into a larger bowl while straining the mixture so that you can discard the vanilla bean pod and peel.
7. Add 1 2/3 cup of yogurt to mixture and whisk well.
8. You can either pour cream mixture in a molded dish (spray with cooking spray for easy un-molding) or in individual bowls or ramekins. Chill overnight.
9. Serve with fresh strawberries or berries in season.
About Wildwood Manor
Located on a knoll with sweeping views of the water and woods, Wildwood Manor is the perfect setting for you to relax, restore and renew yourself. Enjoy casual elegance beneath the Douglas firs, while exploring the beauty of San Juan Island. Our Queen Anne-style home features three water view and woodside view guest rooms and a romantic water view suite, all with private baths and luxurious amenities. Enjoy our beautiful landscape and wooded walking paths, or simply watch the sailboats on San Juan Channel from our Great Room. From our delicious three-course breakfasts to the designer touches through the inn, you will find Wildwood Manor is the ideal place for your San Juan Island getaway.Wildwood Manor5335 Roche Harbor Road
Friday Harbor, WA 98250