Tomato-Centric Cobb Salad
Tuesday, 27 November 2012
Rate, save, comment and tag this recipe
Reprinted with permission from Cooking off the Clock: Recipes from My Downtime by Elizabeth Falkner, copyright (c) 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.Serves 4
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 Croutons, crumbled, or Crunchy Bread Crumbs
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (such as Maytag or Point Reyes Blue)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into slices, or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup arugula or mâche greens, or 8 leaves romaine lettuce, chopped into 3/4-inch-wide ribbons (chiffonade)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 large Medium-Boiled Eggs, peeled and halved
Heat a small sauté pan over high heat. Add the bacon pieces to the hot pan and decrease the heat to low. Cook the bacon until crispy, then toss the croutons with the bacon and its rendered bacon fat; add a squeeze of lemon juice. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Photo by Frankie Frankeny (c) 2012
For the blue cheese dressing, combine the crème fraîche with the tarragon and blue cheese in a bowl and whisk until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
To assemble the salad, season the tomatoes with salt. Smear a large spoonful of the dressing onto each plate. Toss the greens in the remaining dressing and divide among the plates. Add the tomatoes, avocado slices, and 1 egg half to each plate. Top with the croutons and bacon and finish with some pepper. Serve immediately.
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 27 November 2012 )