Steak Tartare with Halen Môn
Tuesday, 23 November 2010
Rate, save, comment and tag this recipe
Recipe from Salted by Mark Bitterman (Ten Speed Press, 2010)
- 12 ounces well-trimmed lean beef tenderloin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, plus more for trimmings
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 anchovies
- 20 capers
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or anchovy oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 three-finger pinches of Halen Môn
- 4 slices of baguette, toasted, for serving
Slice the tenderloin thinly. Cut the slices into strips and the strips into small pieces. Chop until the meat is fine enough to mold, but is still in discernible pieces. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and mustard until well blended. Using your fingers, shape the meat into two small rounds, no more than 4 inches across, on two plates. Make a deep well in the center of each meat patty and put an egg yolk in each well.
In a small bowl, lightly mash the anchovies and capers with a fork. Mix in the vinegar and olive oil. Dollop half of this mixture on each plate at 12 o'clock. Mix the red onion and chives together and put a small mound on each plate at 6 o'clock. Put a three-finger pinch of salt on each plate at 3 o'clock and a spoonful of mustard at 9 o'clock.
To eat, mix the anchovy-caper mixture into the egg yolk with a fork. Work the egg mixture into the meat, incorporating the onion mixture, salt, and pepper to taste. Eat on or with toast.
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 23 November 2010 )