Potatoes and Peas in Red Curry Sauce
Thursday, 06 January 2011
Rate, save, comment and tag this recipe
Reprinted with permission from The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World by Lynn Alley, copyright © 2010. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
- 2 pounds small red or yellow potatoes, cut into 11/2-inch pieces if necessary
- 1 yellow onion, sliced vertically into sections
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) coconut cream (see Note on page 22)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 11/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted cashews, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Wash the potatoes thoroughly and place them, along with the onion, in the slow cooker insert.
Photo by Leo Gong © 2010
Mix the coconut cream, red curry paste, sugar, and soy sauce together and pour over the potatoes. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours, or until the potatoes are somewhat tender when pierced with a fork.
Add the sweet potato, cover, and continue to cook on low for another 2 to 3 hours, or until all the vegetables are tender. Add the peas along with salt to taste and continue to cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer.
To serve, sprinkle each portion with 1 to 2 tablespoons cashews and some cilantro.
Suggested Beverage: A Sauvignon Blanc with a hint of citrus ought to complement this dish quite nicely.
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 12 January 2011 )