Monday, 14 May 2012
Rate, save, comment and tag this recipe
Recipe from Tacos, Burritos and Quesadillas by Laura Washburn (Ryland Peters & Small, 2012)A satisfying and unusual way to serve potatoes, these tacos are good morning, noon or night. The spicing here is deliberately mild, but if you like it fiery, add a finely chopped fresh chilli/chile to the potatoes before roasting.
- 1 generous teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 generous teaspoon ancho chile powder or sweet smoked paprika
- 4-5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lb 12 oz. potatoes, unpeeled and diced
- 1-2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 10-12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups feta cheese or queso fresco, crumbled
- a small bunch of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 220ºC (425ºF) Gas 7.
To prepare the potatoes, put the cumin, chili powder and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large mixing bowl. Add the potatoes and toss well to coat evenly. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet - you may need to use two baking sheets. Drizzle over the remaining oil and sprinkle liberally with salt.
Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then stir to brown on all sides. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until browned and tender.
To serve, put a generous helping of potatoes in the middle of each tortilla. Top with crumbled cheese and scatter over some chopped coriander/cilantro. Serve immediately.
Variation For breakfast tacos, top the potatoes with a spoonful of scrambled eggs and top with cheese and salsa.
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 16 May 2012 )