Recipe from I Love Corn by Lisa Skye (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2012)Executive chef-owner Dominic Giuliano, Choza Taqueria New York, NY
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 medium-size ears fresh corn, kernels removed (1½ cups)
- 1 medium-size red pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, plus additional leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions, white and green parts (about
- 4 scallions)
- 1 (1½ -pound) lobster, cooked, cleaned, and diced into ¼-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- ½ avocado, pitted and sliced very thinly
I love this dish because it brings together some of my favorite flavors of summer, and reminds me of growing up near the ocean in Southern California. It's always a crowd-pleaser at any dinner party. I have found that making a little extra is always important because these little bites are addictive. If you're feeling creative, try replacing the lobster with blue crab or shrimp for a new or different twist on this recipe. And don't forget to serve these colorful bites with a nice glass of chilled rosé.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the corn, red pepper, and shallots. Cook until tender and the shallots begin to appear translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
Whisk together the curry powder and heavy cream in a small bowl, and then add to the corn mixture. Continue to cook until the consistency of the cream has thickened, about 1 minute. Add the cilantro, scallions, and lobster. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Lower the heat to low. Allow the mixture to cook for 10 minutes so the flavors have time to come together and the mixture thickens.
Place the slices of baguette on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until slightly toasted, 5 to 7 minutes.
To serve, place a spoonful of lobster mixture over each of the toasted baguettes. Garnish with a small slice of avocado and a cilantro leaf.