Lemon-Blueberry Bread Puddings
Thursday, 19 July 2012
Rate, save, comment and tag this recipe
Recipe from Desserts in Jars by Shaina Olmanson (Harvard Common Press, 2012)Recipe © 2012 by Shaina Olmanson and used by permission of The Harvard Common Press.
- 1 pound rustic artisan bread, crusts included
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease twelve 8-ounce jars. Cut the bread into 1½-inch cubes, place in a large bowl, and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the sugar and mascarpone. Add the milk, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until evenly combined. Stir in the melted butter.
3. Pour the milk and egg mixture over the bread cubes and stir until all the pieces of bread are completely soaked. Allow the bread to sit for 20 minutes.
4. Stir the blueberries into the pudding mixture and immediately spoon into the jars, filling each only half full. Place the jars on a large baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the tops of the puddings are evenly browned. Remove from the oven, set on a clean, dry towel, and let rest 15 to 20 minutes. Just before serving, pour the cream and agave nectar into a lidded jar and shake to combine. Drizzle over the top of the bread puddings and serve.
Makes 12 individual puddings
Last Updated ( Thursday, 19 July 2012 )