Recipe from 150 Best Desserts in a Jar by Andrea Jourdan (Robert Rose, 2013)
I refer to this dessert as my jar of vitamins. Kiwis are known for providing abundant potassium and vitamins C, E and A. Don’t tell the kids — let them think this dessert is just, well, delightful.
Tip: For a different effect, use yellow kiwis and add 1 tsp (5 mL) additional sugar when whisking the eggs.
Makes 4 servings
-Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
-Four 8-ounce (250 mL) jars, buttered
- Baking pan large enough to accommodate the jars
- 4 kiwifruit, peeled (see Tips)
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3 tbspstrawberry jam
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cut each kiwi into thin slices and place in the bottom of each jar.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until foamy. Gradually whisk in flour mixture. Mix in sour cream, jam and vanilla. Pour over kiwis, dividing equally.
4. Place jars in baking pan, spaced evenly apart and not touching the sides of the pan, and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the jars. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until flan is no longer wobbly. Remove from oven. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from 150 Best Desserts in a Jar by Andrea Jourdan © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca May not be reprinted without publisher permission.