Recipe from The Art of Charcuterie by The Culinary Institute of America (Wiley, 2010)Makes 5 lb 8 oz/2.50 kg
- 5 lb/2.27 kg boneless pork butt, 75/25, cleaned, cut into 1-in/3-cm cubes
- 1½ oz/43 g kosher salt
- ¾ oz/21 g coarsely ground black pepper
- ¾ oz/21 g fennel seeds
- ½ oz/14 g dextrose
- ¼ oz/7 g sweet Spanish paprika
- 8 oz/227 g ice-cold water
- 1 lb/454 g red bell peppers
- 1 lb/454 g green bell peppers
- 8 oz/227 g Spanish onions, diced
- Olive oil, as needed
- 4 tsp/20 mL chopped fresh basil
- 7 to 8 ft/ 2.13 to 2.44 m prepared hog casings, or as needed
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the pork butt, salt, pepper, fennel seeds, dextrose, and paprika. Place the mixture in resealable plastic bags, press out all the air, and partially freeze.
2. Grind the meat once through the coarse plate (³?8 in/9 mm) into a mixing bowl over an ice bath.
3. Transfer the ground meat to a mixer with a paddle attachment. Add the water and mix on speed #1 for 1 minute, then mix on speed #2 until the meat is sticky, 15 to 30 seconds. Transfer to a clean storage container, cover, and refrigerate.
4. Roast the red and green peppers over an open flame until tender. Wrap the peppers in plastic wrap and cool to room temperature. Peel the peppers, discard the seeds, and cut in ½-in/1-cm dice. Reserve under refrigeration.
5. Sauté the onions in oil over high heat to brown them slightly, making sure they are cooked until they are transparent. Cool and reserve with the peppers.
6. Fold the peppers, onions, and basil into the meat mixture by hand so that the peppers and onions don't break up, but the mixture needs to be mixed very well.
7. Make a taste tester and adjust the seasoning as needed.
8. Place the mixture into a sausage stuffer, making sure there are no air pockets. Stuff into the prepared casings. Measure, pinch, and twist into 5-in/13-cm lengths.
9. Refrigerate the sausages for about 30 minutes.
10. Cut the sausages apart at the twists.
11. The sausages may be stored under refrigeration for up to 1 week and can be frozen up to 1 month.