Recipe from The Brown Betty Cookbook by Linda Hinton Brown, Norrinda Brown Hayat (Wiley, 2012)My mom used to include these in her annual Christmas cookie packages. Or at least she tried to - my dad and I used to pilfer a few here and there when she wasn’t looking. Although, as you know, I’m not a chocolate fan, I could not resist these- especially not the cheesecake topping or all of the tasty, crunchy walnuts inside the brownie bottom.
Makes: 14 brownies
Active time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9x13x2-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 11 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon regular salt
- 8 ounces German chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary, about 3 minutes. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the flour, beating until blended. Add 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and beat until smooth. Set the cream cheese batter aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt. Set the flour mixture aside.
4. In another bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the 2 1/2 sticks of butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the remaining 1 3/4 cups of sugar, scraping the bowl as necessary and beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the remaining 4 eggs, 2 at a time, beating until blended. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of vanilla and the melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
6. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, to the chocolate batter, beating until blended. Stir in the pecans.
7. Pour the chocolate batter into the prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to spread the cream cheese batter over the chocolate batter. Cut through the mixture with a fork several times to create a marbled design.
8. Bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes.
9. Transfer the pan of brownies to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into squares.