Recipe from Pretty Delicious: Lean and Lovely Recipes for a Healthy, Happy New You by Candice Kumai (Rodale Books, 2011)
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Heaping 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps or 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 scallions, cut into strips
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and salt and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Scoop out 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water and then drain the pasta in a colander. Rinse the pasta under cold running water for a minute or two to chill the noodles. Give them a few shakes to remove the excess water and set aside.
Heat the sesame oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, until golden brown on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, red-pepper flakes, and reserved pasta cooking water and cook until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cooked chicken and drained noodles and serve sprinkled with the scallions.
Per serving: 536 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated, 0 g trans), 35 g protein, 11 g fiber, 20 g sugars, 962 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrates, 49 mg cholesterol