Recipe from Betty Crocker The Big Book of Cakes (Betty Crocker Big Book) by Betty Crocker Editors (Wiley, 2013)
Stout beer and chocolate combine with caramel frosting to make this wonderful cake.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Start to Finish: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 1 bottle (12 oz) stout or dark beer
- 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons reserved beer
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup beer nuts, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and side of 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan with shortening; lightly flour. Measure 3 tablespoons beer into small bowl; set aside. In 1-quart saucepan, heat remaining beer and chocolate over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Pour into large bowl; cool to lukewarm, 20 minutes.
2. Add remaining cake ingredients to beer mixture. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Spread batter in pan.
3. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt ¼ cup butter. Stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat to low. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons beer. Heat to boiling; remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, about 20 minutes. Stir in powdered sugar. Add additional beer, 1 teaspoon at a time, until soft and spreadable. Spoon over top of cake, allowing some to run down side of cake. Sprinkle with beer nuts.